slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

Recent Reads


After a disappointing start to the year, Im finally on an upswing of reading. I've been working on my knitting a lot more lately, so bedtime reading has been a few pages at a time before I pass out. Luckily, our trip last month reignited it for me. I was able to sit in a bath and read an actual physical book for as long as I wanted. It was pretty great. I'm working to improve all of my random passions, including my reading habits, this blog, and the two things combined. Also, my goal is to do more book-related games and tags. I always enjoy following along, but have never participated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
After reading Circe, I knew I had to get my hands on this. I was not let down. It's beautiful and maddening and heart-breaking. I didn't enjoy the writing style of this one quite as much as I did with Circe, but that only excites me for her future work. I highly recommend this also, and fully blame her for my falling back down the rabbit hole of Greek Mythology. 
½


Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon
This book is fine and offers useful advice, just not any that I particularly needed reminded of. A good start if you want an quick and easy introduction into self help books.



Life Will Be the Death of Me by Chelsea Handler
I was hopeful for this book, and started to prematurely judge it in the initial chapter or two, but it turned into exactly what I was hoping for. This is a deeply personal account of Handler's decision to be introspective about her early life and relationships and just how much they have affected her choices in life. It was witty, raw, and refreshing, and listening to the audiobook only heightened the personal effect. I enjoyed and got something out of this one. 


Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark 
So I didn't realize that this list would be mostly self help memoirs haha. I honestly had no idea what to expect from this one. I've been listening to the podcast since 2015, but I was a little confused when I heard they were writing a book. Apart from being intensely turned off by the cover, I gave it the benefit of the doubt (Self-help books are definitely not ones to judge according to their covers.). It got off to a good start, with some really heart-felt anecdotes that made me well up a time or two. I could get past some of the redundancy when the stories were good. It kind of lost me after a bit though. I listened to the audiobook and had to skip through one chapter because the format literally made me anxious. Im a fan of the girls and really enjoyed parts of this, I would probably go the print route if I had to do it over though. 


The Walking Dead Vol. 30 & 31
I've lost a lot of steam with this series. Geoffrey still picks them up for me, but I hadn't realized when I got the latest that I hadn't even read the last volume. These two weren't bad, just not great for me either. I hear that something really big happens in a recent issue, so I'll for sure stick around for that and decide whether I want to continue. 


Mirenda by Grim Wilkins
I knew nothing about this going in and I still know nothing. I gave it 3 stars for some of the imaginative artwork that was nice to look at, but I'm not a fan of a non-narrative format in graphic novels. 


Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Dana Takeda 
I was drawn to this for the art, but it sat on the shelf for months until I read a recent review and was reminded of it. I was afraid it was going to be kind of cheesy and had no idea what to expect, but when the reviewer said it was a lot darker than she expected, I finally decided to pick it up ha. It's compelling, and while it's not ground-breaking for me, I enjoyed it and appreciated the beauty. I haven't decided if I want to continue this straight away. It depends on if I fall into another spell of reading graphic novels nonstop.  

Have a great week!xx

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…