slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

August Reading Wrap Up


The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
This was a quick, engaging read, and while I didn't enjoy every part of it, it gave me just what I was looking for. Sometimes the cliff-hanger at the end of each section got a little tired, but I really appreciated how concise it was overall, and that Tudor didn't take the liberties I've seen before, making a couple hundred pages worth into five hundred. Good time with some substance and a great intro to the mystery genre with a dash of horror.

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay
I had no idea what to expect from this one so I sat back and let it take me for a ride. Tremblay is great at tension building, and it wasn't long before I was hit with full-on dread. I was absolutely fascinated by the concept of this book and at the edge of my seat the entire time. I couldn't decide how I felt about the conclusion, that is something you'll have to decide for yourself. All I can say is that it was effective. 

Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft
 Thomas Senlin, a headmaster who hails from a small fishing village, is traveling for his honeymoon. The destination is the Tower, a staggering formation of "Ringdoms" stacked upon each other. Stoic and studious, Senlin believes he is prepared for everything with his copy of Every Man's Guide to the Tower and spirited, carefree wife Marya in tow.  Upon arrival, they are immediately overwhelmed by the bustle and crowds of the lowest level and are promptly separated. Senlin must forget everything he thinks he knows about the tower to scale it without an airship and be reunited with Marya. 

This book was a delight. It was so fresh and creative, a true tale of adventure. You think you know where it will go, and soon you drop all expectation and just wonder where it will lead you next. Aside from the creative story-telling, I have not been so in love with character writing in a while. It's apparent that Bancroft loves his characters and put care into creating and developing them as they grow. I really love how he wrote Marya's character and the subtle ways that he introduced their relationship and the depth of it overtime. It would have been so easy to make her a forgettable, damsel-in-distress or forgotten-until-needed character, but we get to know her through Senlin's memories of her and it's great. Great characters, story, setting, and conflict makes it a perfect read for me. This book was amazing and an instant favorite. I can't wait to read the next.


The Walking Dead Vol. 32 Rest in Peace
I can't believe we're here. I was losing steam with the last few volumes, but still surprised to learn it was coming to an end. This will always be a special series for me. It got me back into reading comics. With fast pacing and feelings evoked that run the gamut of shocked and disturbed and touched. It opened doors to more series that also mean a lot to me. I'm glad Kirkman knew where to end, and more importantly, how to end. I was so happy with the path he took and think it's beautiful and impactful, fitting to what it has meant for many. 



Different Seasons by Stephen King
It took me awhile to actually finish this. I read some physically, and then finished it off with an audiobook version because I just was not into it. I thought Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was great and I was pumped to continue, until a few pages into the next story revealed a Nazi storyline. I really, really did not want to read it, and it was just unpleasant in a way I didn't like. The Body is also one of King's domestic horrors, and I found myself just wanting it to be over with as well. I'm coming to terms with the fact that domestic horror is not my thing. The final story, The Breathing Method was an improvement to me, but didn't make up for the prior ones. 



Misery by Stephen King
Not long after Different Seasons I jumped into Misery because the hits are usually bigger than the misses for me, and this was another hit. It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I have seen it many times and I was afraid it would dampen the experience. It was great, and the only version available in my library was by audiobook and the narrator was fantastic. She really nailed Annie Wilkes and made the experience even more effective. Great read, great performance, just great.



Dark Tales by Shirley Jackson
There is something about Jackson's writing that enchants me. I love the little details she peppers in effortlessly. Little ways that make her characters feel more real in such a short span of time. This was another great little compilation of stories that toe the line between unsettling and terrifying. I love her subtlety, but I was ecstatic when she would really go all out horror with a couple of the stories. She is a master at pinpointing the little horrors that are absolutely real and possible in the world as we know it, and then some that are not. 

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
So yeah... I probably didn't give this one a fair shake. Contemporaries are really hit or miss for me, but I love historical fiction so I thought I'd give this a go. I DNF'd before I even hit a hundred pages. There are just too many books I want to read right now, and I prioritize time for things I am enjoying and unfortunately, this wasn't it. 

Scythe by Neal Schusterman. A YA, part of a little challenge for myself. I am over halway finished and I don't hate it, I actually kind of like it.

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman. This is a large hardcover which already makes it difficult for me to spend much time on, but I'm really enjoying it so far and just broke 200 pages. Hopefully I finish within the next month.

Four Past Midnight by Stephen King. Another King audiobook to accompany my knitting/cleaning/etc. There have been ups and downs with this one. I have really mixed emotions about his short stories.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Yeah my TBR started getting away from me. I started this one night to read to the kids at bedtime, but I've been wanting to read it myself anyways and I really like it so far.
I've been planning for awhile to spend a month getting out of my comfort zone more and this month it's with YA books. I avoid them and assume I won't like them, which I obviously can't know without reading them. I really love big, dense, and environmental reads, but I also love shorter reads if they're executed in a clever way. I'm hoping to find some good eye-openers this month. So far on the list are:
Scythe by Neal Shusterman (Currently Reading)
Wilder Girls by Rory Power
Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (At the insistence of my husband.)
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow (I've seen it listed as YA and Adult so I'm not certain, but I want to read it regardless.) 

I also plan on doing some non-YA reading to mix it up if I have time, but this is all for now! Thanks for reading, I hope you have a great September.xx


Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…