slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

recent reads



The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
This was a really interesting read. I loved Ronson's writing style and blunt observations. He is very plainspoken with a witty edge, bringing some lightness to the often dark subject of psychopathy. His subjects varied in lifestyle and experience, and it was fascinating to read about psychopaths on completely different courses in life. Sometimes we forget that psychopaths aren't just cruel in the animalistic sense, some take their lack of conscience and really run with it in the business and political world. If psychology interests you, I would definitely recommend this book. I'll definitely be reading more of his in the future.

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
This was an intriguing, intelligently written story, that evokes strange and contradicting feelings throughout. I won't say too much because it's better to go into blind, I highly recommend it though!

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 
This book is respected as a true crime classic, but I'm pretty new to this genre as far as reading goes, and I was honestly a little hesitant. I'd started reading this  book during my Kindle unlimited trial, and unlike Goodreads, there was no trigger warning, and while the book was well-written, it was a little too thorough for me, including direct transcripts and details that were too much. Needless to say, I didn't finish it and steered clear of true crime books for a while. This is not like that. It is upsetting for obvious reasons, but it's really impressive how beautifully it is written and laid out, as a story and less like a clinical case. There is due time given to the victims and their accomplishments, so it is more personal and not so detached. There were some parts that lagged a bit for me, but it's a decent size for true crime, so that was expected. If you're interested in the genre, this is a good place to start. 



The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines with Mark Dagostino
Im always hesitant to read memoirs. I can't even recall another besides a Miley Cyrus one I read at a friend's sleepover because I woke up before everyone else. Sometimes memoirs can have the "Don't meet your heroes" Effect, and sometimes they're truly humanizing. With this one, I was afraid it might be a publicity push of candy-coated trials and a ton of cliched religious tropes, but it actually wasn't. This was actually a pretty transparent story of the rocky beginnings of their success and just how hard they worked to make their dreams happen. It starts with how the two of them, who are so different, became an unlikely couple who would go on to be unlikely business partners. It includes their struggles, uncertainty, and hilarious personal anecdotes, in which they don't shy away from making themselves look bad. (I'm pretty sure their kids would have been better off being babysat by a monkey than Chip.) But they redeem themselves and I especially appreciate that they put the needs of others before their own, instead of getting successful at the expense of others like so many do. It's a quick, fun read and a nice pick-me-up for those times when we feel like we're surviving instead of thriving.
Paper Girls Vol 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
The artwork is what initially drew me to this series, and it kind of stayed that way. This one really didn't do anything for me, and I rushed through the last of it just so I could be finished. It could go in a cool direction, but right now I don't have high hopes for following it in it's entirety. 


SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…