slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

November Reading Wrap Up


Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Another bedtime story for the kids that I enjoyed probably more than they did. This book was a nice mix of creepy and cute and nonsense and heart. So it was a usual Gaiman. 

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
This particular classic is one that I've never read a synopsis for and went in completely blind. It was nothing like I expected, even without knowing anything about it. I really appreciate that experience. There were times that this book was maddening and I had no idea what was really going on, or if the narrator was just unreliable. The way the story unfolds is so clever and you really are kept in the dark with the narrator (Despite a few pretty predictable instances.). I found myself really sympathizing with her in her frustration and confusion, at others and at herself. I highly recommend it for those who passed over it in high school.

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
Do not read the synopsis of this book, just jump in. That's what I did, and I was taken off guard by things that they put right out there for you to read. This is the scariest book I've read in some time.  It deals with heavy topics that center around the abduction and brutal violence of teenage girls, so read with discretion. This exact vein of mystery thrillers is my guilty pleasure. Pleasure might be the wrong word for it though. I'm completely appalled the entire read and can't stop tearing through the pages at top speed. 
This is an engaging read and you will never be bored. Some of it is just a bit too outrageous, but that comes with the territory of these kinds of books. It's fast-paced and surprising and brutal and heartbreaking, and very, very effective. 

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
Mary Poppins needs no introduction, but I can tell you that this was a delightful read. Extra adventures and nonsense and magic, that made it more enjoyable for me than the movie. I read it to my kids, but it's a book you can enjoy at any age. 

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Another classic I missed in school. I didn't know a terrible amount about it, but I could kind of guess from the story material. Its a study of humanity and what happens when it goes unsupervised. I love this topic, obviously being a fan of horror and true crime. I honestly didn't know if I would get much out of this at the start, but it was a lot more effective than I was expecting, passing the point of dread to discomfort and finally, revulsion. 
The Lost World by Michael Crichton
After enjoying Jurassic Park so much I decided to start this one. I'm only about twenty percent of the way through, but I'm enjoying it so far. 

The Long Walk by Stephen King
Because we are unpacking all day and night I've really dug into my Stephen King audiobooks. I really like this one so far. It has me on the edge of my seat and horrified, more so than some of my latest King reads/listens. 



I couldn't bring myself to be too involved lately with my crazy schedule, but consistent blogging is always on my list of goals, and I like to at least update on my reading monthly. With only two books remaining until I meet my Goodreads challenge, I'm inspired and hope to maybe even surpass it. I can't believe it is already December, it's been a fantastic reading year for me! I hope it's been the same for you. Happy reading and holiday season!xx

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…