slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

Recent Reads

If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enjoy and try some out of my usual box. I hope you are staying well during this time and able to carve out some time for much-needed escapism. xx
               



The Dinner by Herman Koch

Welp. It's been a while since I read this, but it's pretty much a slice of the life of a bunch of assholes, so if you're into that sort of thing you might like this.
                    
















Dear Girls by Ali Wong

I love Ali's standup and her outrageous sense of humor, but I was sadly disappointed by this book. There were some redeeming qualities for sure, like the heartfelt accounts of her struggles and love for her family and culture. I just found myself losing interest too often and the comedy didn't always land for me.















The Other People by C.J. Tudor

This was a mixed bag. Some of it I really enjoyed and I was excited to get answers to all the questions. Unfortunately, the answers were kind of the problem. I rate by my enjoyment though, and I enjoyed more of the book than I didn't, but if outcomes really ruin an experience for you, maybe proceed with caution? 







The One by John Marrs

This book was a blast. It had its silliness, sure and was predictable, but in the best way. I would plead for it to go down crazy routes and it fulfilled every wish. I would recommend the audiobook which has a full cast. It was a soapy black mirror for my ears and made cleaning exponentially better. 










I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

Wow. This book. This is the creepiest book I've read in so long. I'm not usually scared by books, but this one had me looking for things in the dark. And the funny thing is, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHY until the end. The book is a puzzle that gives very little away. I appreciated not being force-fed exposition but I also kind of wished there was a bit. I'm sure I'll get more out of it with a second read when I feel like doing so again. Definitely recommend. 
½ 












The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

I appreciated what this book was going for, it just didn't appeal to me. I love good character development, and when I heard what this was about I figured this would be the perfect book for that. Unfortunately, I never connected fully with the characters which beat the entire purpose. 


















In The Woods by Tana French

So this book took me by storm. I first took pause when I realized it wasn't going to be a snappy, candy thriller. Once I allowed myself to settle into the story I could fully enjoy it. (And realize how much I've missed long, rich books.)
I love Tana French's writing. She crafts warm, life-like characters that don't usually exist in thrillers, and I think that's why this book was such a win for me. 
I wasn't completely happy with the ending. It's the gamble with every mystery/thriller. I would still recommend regardless. The destination was less than satisfying, but the journey there was so good.  

½





Firestarter by Stephen King

My next obligatory Stephen King was another audiobook I listened to while walking. This was another one that was just alright to me. Some parts I really liked, some were long-winded and unnecessary. (You get the gist after reading more than five of his books.) There's no question about his talent and knack for writing characters, I just wish the books were tightened up a bit (Or a lot in some cases.)

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…