slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

recent reads


 Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore
This book was a lot of fun. It documents the many lives of Milo, the oldest soul alive, who is trying to reach perfection by his ten thousandth life. In-between these lives he spends his time with his long-time girlfriend, Death, or Suzie as she prefers to be called.
Poore really nailed the unpredictability in Milo's tales. The few times that I thought I was going to be bored by a life, it turned into something different that I really liked. I enjoyed that he allowed some to be short and to the point, keeping it interesting. There were many different types of lives, some easy-going and some disturbing, though most of the time it was done subtly. This was a good, different read for me as of late.


Saga Vol. 5 & 6
Volume five starts with struggles across the board, resulting in us getting more insight into Marko's past and more casualties of the war.
I loved volume 6. Every volume feels like a whole new world, and this one especially. This series definitely moves fast, which sometimes made me nervous, because I didn't know where it would go, but I love how fast-paced it is, and I have a feeling the story will go on further than what we are currently seeing. It is after all, Hazel's story. So yeahh, great volume, a lot of emotion in this one, and another window of opportunity at it's closing. I'm sure I'll have read the next volume by the time this is published, so it feels weird to say I'm excited to read it. 

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

I was afraid this was going to be too young for me, but I read many positive reviews on GoodReads from all ages. That being said, it was still a bit young for me. It was a quick read and entertaining enough, but I didn't appreciate it as much as I had hoped. I really loved the illustrations, and think they really added to the story. The story was heartfelt and I think it would be a great read to transition younger readers into heavier topics.


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Wade Watts is a technologically gifted teenager who uses the universal, virtual OS "Oasis" to escape from his reality of an impoverished Oklahoma City in a dystopian-ish future. When the creator of Oasis, James Halliday, dies, he leaves a quest for an easter egg within the limitless universe. It's the whole Charlie and The Chocolate Factory concept, whoever finds it wins his fortune and legacy.
I liked Cline's creative touches to the reality of the new America, such as the "Stacks" that Wade lived in. But I think something that kind of rubbed me the wrong way was what a lot of people loved. The 80's references. Halliday grew up in the 80's and was obsessed with it and many of the players (They're referred to as gunters.) study everything from the era obsessively for the quest. It's fine and all, but it felt redundant at times and didn't require a whole lot of creativity on Cline's part.
The reviews I read on this were slightly mixed, and I kind of agree with both sides. I was unsure of how I felt, because it was an entertaining read and I had no problem with it boring me or wanting to put it down, but it didn't excite me very much either. There weren't any parts that  were bad in my opinion, it was just a perfectly satisfactory read, no more no less. 

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…