slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

recent reads


The Devil in the White City  by Erik Larson
This book is about how the World Fair in Chicago came to be, and how it coincided with the villainy of H. H. Holmes, a local psychopath with a murder hotel. I was familiar with Holmes, but I was interested in reading a more thorough biography. His part in this book isn't very prominent compared to the fair, and I was actually okay with that. It was really interesting to read of the struggle, tragedy, and triumph leading up to the opening and duration of the fair. I also love learning about little details of history and different periods, so getting more insight to the late 1800's was fascinating to me. This seems like required reading for true crime, which is why I picked it up, but I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it's counterpart more.


The Walking Dead Vol. 28: A Certain Doom
The past couple of volumes had been building up to this volume, so I knew things were going to come to a head. There were some unexpected events, some that were great and some that really sucked, but it really made for a beautiful storyline and resolve among the group.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch 
I went into this book knowing almost nothing about it, and it paid off. I kind of took a chance, because the short summary didn't interest me all that much, and although it took me a little time to invest, once the story hit me, it really hit me. It was a quick, thrilling read. One that makes you feel suffocated for a bit there. You're ready for it to be over with, but in a good way.

Saga Vol. 7
We are met with yet another time jump. We meet some, we lose some. It's not very surprising at this point in the series, but it doesn't hurt less. I'm really anxious to get my hands on the next volume in January.

Extremity Issues 1-6
Geoffrey introduced and heavily recommended this series to me. Thea is the daughter of the leader of a clan of sorts, who inherit a dystopian, war-torn future. Their world is made up of floating islands, whether this is an ill-fated Earth, it is hinted at but not confirmed. One day their clan is brutally attacked, and Thea who is identified as the greatest artist in the land, loses her hand and some very important people in the process. Her Father is quick to retaliate, pulling she and her brother, Rollo into destruction and war. Battling with her loss and new identity Thea must decide between her Father's path of vengeance or her brother's path to peace.
This comic is beautiful, in it's writing and art. They are really quick reads, but are packed with action.  The characters have dimension, making you empathize not only with the protagonists, but their adversaries as well. There are moments of havoc that are immediately paralleled with moments of past joy, which is done in such a heartbreakingly beautiful way. This comic is an example of humanity when it's bent until it breaks, and it's up to the writer to decide whether they stay broken or begin to mend.


I was hoping to add on Written in My Own Heart's Blood, but I am only halfway through at four hundred pages, so it will most likely kick off my 2018 reading challenge. Speaking of which, I fully intend to do a year wrap up next month of my reading challenge this year and hopefully a year-end book tag if I find one I like. I'm also obviously photoshopping book covers over my kindle, because I was tired of boring kindle covers, let's not focus on it too much haha.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you liked Dark Matter. "Suffocating" is an excellent way to describe the feeling. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…