slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

recent reads| year in review




We're already at the end of the year! I have loved sharing and reviewing books, and while I've only been doing it monthly since July, it's become one of my favorite parts of blogging. I wanted to do my first book tag as a year-end-review, but couldn't find one I liked, so I decided to put together a little survey myself to answer.



reading challenge wrap-up

My Goodreads challenge didn't start until July, so I started with a smaller goal of 20 books. I surpassed it with 22 books. Although a good amount of those were graphic novels, I read some pretty beefy books, so it was more quality over quantity most of the time. I hope to more than double that number next year. 

Books I didn't finish.
Spook by Mary Roach. (DNF)

Written in My Own Heart's Blood. (Still reading.)

Longest book. 

It- 1,478 pg. kindle 1,156 pg. paperback

Shortest book.

A Monster Calls- 224 pg. 

Biggest Disappointment.

A Monster Calls. This wasn't a terrible book, it was just a bit too built up for me in expectation.

Unexpected Favorite. 

Saga. I feel like the graphic novels are in a somewhat different category than books, and I may even split them up as I read more next year, but this series really did it for me. I had seen the book cover with Hazel breastfeeding countless times and thought it looked weird and not for me, but I was so wrong.

Devil in the White City. This was an unexpected favorite because I was interested in the true crime aspect, and enjoyed the history portion much more.

Most Exciting.

It. What can I say? At least thirteen years after seeing the movie and I couldn't read this with the lights off. Fantastic book.

Most Emotional.

The Light Between Oceans. This book was ripe with instances that tore at my heartstrings.

Most Unique. 

Reincarnation Blues. Definitely the most different book I read this year, and it was a lot of fun living multiple lives with the same character.


Favorite Antagonist.

It. An otherworldly entity that can take the form of something terrifying to prey on children. The worst/best.

Prince Robot. In graphic novel land, I really liked how Saga made you love most characters, good and bad. I really like The Will as well, but I was more surprised that I began to like Robot more.

Favorite Author.

Diana Gabaldon. (A Breath of Snow and Ashes, An Echo in the Bone.) She's a literary goddess.

Favorite Book. 

A Breath of Snow and Ashes. This was a hard choice between the two Outlander series books, and I loved EITB and the ending so much, but there was so much greatness in this one.

You can find reviews for the aforementioned books in my Recent Reads tag.

Top "To Reads" For next year. 

-Anna Karenina 
-Never Let Me Go
-The Shining
-The Heart's Invisible Furies

My goal this next year is to branch out and read more genres and books that I don't normally gravitate to. I definitely want to read a lot more nonfiction and some of the classics I never read when I was in school. Thanks for reading along! Do you have any reading challenges you take part in or have any books that were the highlights of the year? Here's to 2018, happy reading!






SaveSave

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…