slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

recent reads


I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara
I'd been keeping tabs on this book after hearing about it on one of my favorite podcasts (My Favorite Murder.), and the day I got off the waitlist at my library was the day that they arrested the suspect, DeAngelo. This was bittersweet. Michelle passed before this book was even finished, and Patton Oswalt, her husband, worked to find the right people to compile her remaining notes and finish what she had worked on for so long. I appreciate her true crime writing style. It's accurate without being too offensive or apathetic. I admire the respect she shows to the victims and their stories, instead of just the offender's. I really wish she could have finished it, because I wanted more of her voice in the writing. It's obvious with notes and in tone when her notes and facts are simply stated instead of fleshed out by her. But even more devastating is that she wasn't here to see it to fruition, and to see how her work helped keep this case relevant, and ultimately solved. 


I Am Legend by 
I became more interested in this book when I heard it was quite different from the film, and I like a new experience. It was very different, and in a very good way. I enjoyed this story more than the movie, and was surprised at just how many differences there were, including the virus itself. This is my favorite kind of short read, with a great story that is a good balance of vague and informative. I definitely recommend.

Saga Issues 49-50 by Brian K. Vaughn (Writer) Fiona Staples (Illustrator)
Quirky, unafraid, full of heart and beautiful art, as always. 

Archie Vol 1 by  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator)
Archie Comics were among the first ones that I read as a child. Seeing a revival and rework peaked my interest, but seeing Fiona's artwork on the cover was the final nail in the coffin. I ate up the first three issues, before finding different artwork for the remaining issues. Nothing against the other artists, but the sudden change irked me, and my interest slowly started to dwindle. This is not a controversial rewrite as much as it is a a modern awakening, which means it's average(ish) high school storylines. And while I appreciate the faithfulness to the classic tales, Fiona's knack for setting the scene and impeccable emotion carried at least half the weight for me. I may look into future issues, but this one isn't a done deal for me quite yet.


City of Owls by  (Writer) (Illustrator),  (Illustrator),  (Writer),  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator),  (Illustrator)
The continuing story of The Court of Owls (Possibly my favorite storyline to date.) in which Bruce continues to dive into the secrets of the disturbing cult. I enjoyed this volume a lot, just not quite as much as it's predecessor. After the Owls storyline, there are a few extra issues, including an endearing short storyline with new characters, and a Mr. Freeze storyline with beautiful artwork.

The Shining by Stephen King
This was as effective as IT, in very different ways. I was impressed with his range for exploring different kinds of horror. There are definitely moments of terror in the common way, with exploration in the psychological way as well. I'm sure you're familiar with the concept or film, so I don't feel the need to summarize it. This book is a ride for the emotions. I only hope my future King readings hold up to this standard.


We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
This book. This was an insane experience. It had very very effective story-telling, you feel everything, even the feelings you might not expect. I'm torn over this reading experience, because while it was easy to tear through, it was such a maddening read, and I'm not sure if enjoyment can be considered here. The writing was fantastic at times, although a little too bloated with a vast vocabulary at times. It's in the form of letters, written by a woman to her now estranged husband, about their son. The son that turned her life around from the moment he was born. A complaint I have about this book is just how extreme the story, characters, and circumstances are. Not one character is subtle in any way, the protagonist is selfish and self-righteous, her antagonizer is pure evil, and supporting characters are either painfully ignorant or helpless and pathetic. There weren't many sides to them, and one explanation could be because it is coming from one narrator, but ideas clash when she dotes on someone that she portrays as a stupid idiot. I could sympathize with the protagonist, on a very small level, with the sacrifice of having a child, and the process of losing yourself and aspirations so that others may grow, but otherwise, this is a tough read and a bummer. Still, it is effective story-telling,  and if you want a little psychological warfare in your reading, I'd give it a go.
½
SaveSave

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…