slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Katie
Hi there! This is where I keep the things that bring me joy. Thanks for reading.xx

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

project life

category 2

currently

category 3

reading

Recent Reads

 
So it's been a good reading year so far. Here is the first batch of books I read, mostly in January. It was a month of shorter reads, thrillers, and Gillian Flynn.





The Grownup by Gillian Flynn. Usually, my common complaint with thrillers is the length. That was the same for this one but on the other end of the spectrum. It just wasn't enough for me. Maybe I don't like standalone short stories?


The Invited by Jennifer McMahon. I had mixed feelings with this one, but the good won out overall. After a couple purchases a rural piece of land to build their dream homestead on, they find themselves the subject of threats. But as the threats get more mysterious, they are not so sure it is just the townspeople who are trying to send a message. There is a lot they must learn about where they are building their home.
It's a vague description, I know. But these books are always best read blindly. I loved the set up of this book and the way the author wove together the protagonist's original plan with her new obsession. I also love how said obsession was portrayed in very different ways between the characters. The way they approached the things they were witnessing was realistic to me, one being drawn in by empathy and the other by scientific curiosity. I'm glad I took a chance on this one.




The Long Walk by Stephen King. A hundred boys must walk without stopping until one is left. Like many King novels, this is more of a character study than strictly plot-driven, which I appreciate. Horror will always be more effective when you care. My biggest problem, which is also King-like, was the length. A little shorter and tighter would have been preferable for a simple concept, but it was still a good read.





Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Wowie, why didn't I read this sooner? I watched the movie years ago and liked it, but I usually don't read books after seeing the movie. It's harder for me to stay interested and I want the first time read to be a fresh experience. This was the exception. I loved this book, and while I don't remember a whole lot from the film, the book also seemed different in its own ways. Gillian Flynn is so good. Just read it.














Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Coming off of my Gone Girl reading, I was convinced to read Sharp Objects. Just like before, seeing the series took no enjoyment out of the book. It actually seemed a little more fast-paced than the show, which is a modern concept. Another read I recommend.










My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite. Korede's little sister, Ayoola, has murdered her boyfriend. Again. And like before, she is there to help her clean up the mess. Her moral dilemma of wondering whether her sister is actually defending herself in these murders is put on hold when Ayoola becomes interested in the man she secretly loves.
This was a great read full of moral dilemmas, challenging family dynamics, and self-sacrifice.





Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. George Washington Black was born a slave and must endure under the leadership of a cruel plantation owner (A cruel slaveowner. Who knew, right?) until said owner's younger brother, Christopher, tasks him to assist him in his scientific research. When a violent event causes a misunderstanding and a bounty on Washington's head, he and Christopher take to the sky in the flying machine they have prepared tirelessly.
This book is challenging for obvious reasons and some that are not so obvious. What it means to be free, what it means to be family, and what it means to be friends.















Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I toyed with the idea of reading this, and kind of passed on it until I heard the audiobook was great. The book is made up of interviews by the members of the fictional band Daisy Jones and The Six. In it, the band members who are portrayed by a full cast, recount their rise and fall, professionally and personally. It's an interesting concept and was an entertaining listen. If you're on the fence with this one, I'd say give it a listen.

Comments

ppl love these

FO| Soldotna Crop
I'm so in love with this sweater. There were a couple of bumps in the road but it was a much s…
Recent Reads
If anything, 2020 has been a strong reading year. I'm continuing to play around in genres I enj…
Knit Crushes
Sweater No. 8| My Favourite Things Knitwear This pattern is hanging out in my library and I can'…
Recent Reads
This post has been sitting in my drafts half-written for half of this year, so I thought I'd d…